Vietnam Airlines repatriation flight to USA
Vietnam Airlines repatriation flight to USA. The airline operated a repatriation flight to San Francisco, USA for the repatriation of its citizens. The airline used its biggest aircraft, the B787-10 for this flight. Vietnam Airlines has been operating repatriation flights as well as cargo only passenger flights.
Repatriation flight to USA
Vietnam Airlines arranged a flight for repatriating 340 Vietnamese from the USA to Vietnam. The passengers consisted of children under 18, elderly people with medical condition and students. Flight VN1 had carried US citizens as well as medical supplies for the Vietnamese community in the US.
The US in not one of the airlines regular routes. The non-stop route covered a distance of more than 25,000km. This arrangement required coordination between the Vietnam authorities, US authorities and Vietnam Airlines. The total flight time was set to be around 33 hours from Vietnam to the US and back.
Etihad expands repatriation flights. The airline has announced a series of special flights to 5 destinations on top of the list of destinations it had announced earlier.
ANA set to operate repatriation flights to India. The airline is already operating flights to Delhi and is set to fly to Chennai and Mumbai to bring back Japanese citizens in India.
Austrian Airlines operates repatriation flights and help maintain the global supply of medical essentials by operating cargo flights.
Aircraft and crew
Vietnam Airlines operated this flight using its largest and latest aircraft Boeing B787-10 registered as VN-A879. The aircraft is less than a year old and was delivered to the airline last year.
The aircraft on a usual long-haul flight carries around 14 to 16 crew members. This flight carried double the number of crew members. It had a total of 30 crew members on board. This included 8 pilots, 16 flight attendants, 2 technicians and 2 ground staff.
The captain of the flight had an experience of 26 years and flew the carriers first B787-9, B787-10 from its assembling facility in the US to Vietnam in 2015 and 2019.
The flight crew had complete medical protective kits and communication was restricted during passenger service. The passenger will go through thermal screening pre boarding and will be adhered to wearing face masks throughout the flight.
After landing in Vietnam the passengers will be sent for quarantine. The entire aircraft will be cleaned and sanitised from the cockpit to the passenger cabin.
Further repatriation flights are being arranged for the repatriation of its citizens in France, UK, USA, Italy and Japan.
- Qatar Airways operates special livery aircraft to ChennaiQatar Airways operated a special livery of FIFA 2022 painted on its B777-300ER to Chennai from Doha operating an all cargo flight
- Oman Air operates A330 to Chennai for the first timeOman Air operates A330 to Chennai for the first time ever from Muscat in its 23 years of operation from Chennai.
- THAI Smile operates to Chennai for the first timeTHAI Smile operates to Chennai for the first time from Bangkok using its A320 aircraft. This was a repatriation flight operated by the airline.
- Emirates modifies B777-300ER for cargo operationsEmirates modifies its B777-300ER aircraft for cargo operations by removing the seats in its economy cabin to accommodate cargo in addition to cargo carried in the belly of the aircraft
- Etihad operates to Cuba for the first time everEtihad operates a humanitarian flight to Havana, Cuba for the first time ever using its B777-300ER aircraft from Abu Dhabi
- Emirates to operate to 29 destinations from DubaiEmirates is set to operate to 29 destinations from Dubai using its B777-300ER aircraft adding to the list of destination is is already operating to.